[DECtalk] update on fonixTalk in other languages

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Jul 26 04:46:54 EDT 2015

I would disagree.  I do not speak other languages except English, but I do
know there are Chinese speech synthesizers.  Do you yourself speak the
language for which you were launching the sample text?  In other words, if
you yourself are not familiar with the language, how do you know the text
was even written in hat language?  I am not doubting you, but I am trying to
make a point.  As you probably know, there are synthesizers for Spanish,
German, Italian, etc.  If you take a piece of English text and have the
Italian language synthesizer read it, it will sound like English with an
Italian accent.  Unless you are quite certain that the text is in fact
Korean and not Chinese, Russian, Japanese or English, you could be running
into a similar situation.  The better way would be for her to type a few
sentences in her native language and have it read back the text.  All of
that being said, I found the DECtalk 4.61 British English to be terrible to
the point that I switched my firmware back to 4.2CD American English.  I
should also note that I've heard a number of British and Australian people
mention that they use American English synthesizers.  For software speech, I
prefer British English myself.