[DECtalk] legality and dectalk

Carlos Fernandez cf530a at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 00:13:19 EDT 2014

The problem applying laws to synthesizers like dectalk is the difficulty
of purchasing it. I would be singing a different tune if fonix did
anything other than sit on the patent. I would also think very
differently if it were something like nuance vocalizer or acapela
infovox, products that use very modern design and are still being
developed. This is the reason I will not write a fonixTalk synthesizer
for NVDA, as has been asked. I don't believe I can resolve the question
of what is and isn't fonix's property inside fonixTalk.
However, neither of my requirements apply to dectalk. The base code has
not been changed for decades and it only runs on modern systems because
the people who wrote it were lucky enough to choose a programming
language that did not die. Fonix never even released a new version of
dectalk. They simply purchased the code and threw it in a box. Unless
some company would like to give us an alternative, I declare, on behalf
of the dectalk community, that dectalk, in all of its current forms, is
open for use by any person who desires it.

Carlos