[DECtalk] How about a competition?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Dec 18 08:33:38 EST 2007

Hello,

1. I disagree with you.  I know that there are Linux and Windows players
that play the ogg format.  Winamp comes to mind on Windows and probably
MPlayer or some such works on Linux.  I know of no standard way to play
WMA files.  I'm sure there are Linux players but there is no public
standard on which WMA players can be built.  In other words, Microsoft
doesn't openly publish the WMA format specs.  I would prefer wave files
myself but they're impractical to download because of size.  A good
alternative is FLAC, especially for files five minutes or less.  My next
choice would be mp3 because it is a standard and almost anything can
play it.

2. The copyright rule stands and will not be debated.  I will not break
the law by hosting illegal material on a public site, period.  The point
is to create something original with DEC-talk, not rip off an already
existing song.  If people really have no idea what to do, look for
public domain music.  There are a good number of PD music sites out
there.  One that immediately comes to mind is this:
http://www.pdmusic.org/  Also, Project Gutenberg has lyrics to many folk
songs and ballads now in the public domain.

3. I am not judging anything.  I am simply overseeing and hosting the
files.  If judges would rather vote for the most creative work as
opposed to the best use of DEC-talk, that's up to them.  My thinking is
that the contest should be a bit of both, judging based on what is most
creatively done and who has the best DEC-talk skills.  However, I
realize and expect that most people submitting will be creating
something with DEC-talk for the first time.  That's kind of the point,
to get people to try something new.  If prizes are donated, they might
win something.  As I said, my inspiration came from the annual IF
competition.  Look at that site for their rules, although this would be
different because we are not dealing with text works.
http://ifcomp.org/  Obviously, a two hour file would be way too long, so
the rule from the IF competition about games being no longer than two
hours to finish doesn't apply.

I'm open to debate about the text files.  Since all files would be kept
by me until the deadline for entries, I don't see how people would copy
each other but I'm willing to reconsider this if other people disagree.
Text files are optional anyway, and obviously impossible if you want
your file to be stereo or have multiple voices.  All files would be
uploaded to a private ftp account or sent as email attachments up until
the submission deadline.  At that time, I would put up a web page with
download links for the entries.  Therefore, unless an author tells the
world what their entry is, I don't really see how everyone would copy
everyone else unless everyone has the exact same idea.