[DECtalk] new to the list

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Mar 4 03:19:06 EST 2006

Hi, all might not be lost.  I know that most if not all screen
readers reset the synthesizer.  Vocal-eyes does also in
DOS.  However, there might be a way to set JFW to not reset it.  I
don't know how.  I've seen cases where you can tell it to never reset
the synthesizer.  Another option is to set it to use a totally
different synth besides DEC-Talk.  That way it ignores commands sent
to it.  You get weird characters in your speech output but it might
work.  I've tried setting it to the Echo before just for
experimentation.  You could instead use Litetalk since it supports
indexing.  If it was DOS, I would say to use the DEC-Talk PC drivers
or somehow install software to emulate a different port but that
isn't good in Windows, especially XP.