[DECtalk] dectalk is offline

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Apr 4 01:54:14 EDT 2005

Hi.  This is wrong in the US.  You are absolutely right in the UK.  The UK
has more liberal laws anyway.  In the US, anything produced after 1922 is
under copyright.  It makes no difference whether it is a BBC production or
a novel.  If someone wants to buy a script and frame it, that is up to
them, but downloading episodes, whether in text format or not, is illegal
in the US.  Most of Europe follows what you say below, but please, please
never assume that other countries have the same laws as yours.  You will be
wrong almost every time, in particular with copyright.  Trust me, I know I
am right, but I can give sites to look at if you need more proof.  Look at
the FAQ at:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Look at the US copyright office at:

http://www.copyright.gov/

The US has signed treaties with many countries, including the UK, so you
can plan on UK copyrights being enforced here.  Sorry to disappoint all of you.