[DECtalk] Software DECtalk availability (was Re: using dectalk with orca in ubuntu)

Josh Kennedy joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 07:18:24 EST 2024

yes, they are commercial products, windows, android, IOS. But what Brian
Blazie means is... Lets say for example, you started a commercial company
called Karen LuEllen incorporated. You want to develop your own
product, your own noteTaker, a for-profit operating system, or a
new talking microwave. You want to use decTalk in that product. You want to
sell that product with decTalk incorporated into it. You would have to
license decTalk in order to do that. Now lets say you are a screen reader
user. You like using NVDA, Jaws, whatever. You enjoy using the decTalk
voice because you like how it sounds, it is your favorite voice and so on.
So you download it and start using it. This is ok. You are not making a new
product, you are simply using decTalk for your own personal enjoyment. Its
like for example, I can go to a park somewhere and ride on the swings if I
wanted to. The swings are a commercial product, built by someone, some
company. So if I wanted to make my own park with playground equipment,
using that company's product, but making it a different color to stand out
from a park in another town, I would have to buy from the original
manufacturer of the equipment and maybe ask them if I could change the
color.
Now with decTalk, nobody is getting rich off of it. People these days
prefer their amazon speaker voices and their natural neural AI and very
human sounding unit selection voices. Dennis Klatt's relative may make some
money from commercial decTalk licenses, but I doubt it will be an income
you could live off of. decTalk is 40 or so years old, and the only people
who are still into it are as far as I know, blind and disabled folks.