[DECtalk] Piper neural voices for nVDA

Blake Roberts BEarlRoberts at aol.com
Thu Nov 2 18:58:02 EDT 2023

Hi all,

I want to first thank Josh for sharing on-list several days ago about
the Piper voices for NVDA add-on. The purpose of this message is to
share my initial impressions of Piper with members of this email list.
Of course since every message sent to this list if automatically
archived and publicly readable, I am also sharing these impressions with
the entire Internet after the send button is pressed.

I have downloaded the Piper voice NVDA add-on from GITHUB and tried some
of the voice packages available after choosing and installing them.
Overall I am impressed with quality of some of the AI-powered voices,
especially since Piper is currently in Beta. The Piper voice manager
which the developer added recently makes it very easy to find, preview
and download voices.

For anyone who has not tried Piper voices yet and interested in doing so
in NVDA: After installing the Piper add-on, I suggest downloading the
Arctic voice package through Piper voice manager. In my experience, the
other English-speaking voice packages available don't currently speak
letters or words correctly when I navigate by individual letter or word.
For whatever reason, the Arctic voices don't have that extremely
annoying problem most of the time. My favorite Arctic voice is BDL. The
Piper version of that voice is, to my ears, more
realistic/human-sounding compared to the non-AI version available through

RHVoice <https://rhvoice.org/>.

I have bookmarked the Piper GitHub page for future reference. I am
excited about trying additional Piper neural voices and versions in the
future as the TTS project evolves!