[DECtalk] thinking of legal gray areas with licenses

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Mon Mar 20 08:08:40 EDT 2023

Hi,

That's because the concept of abandonware does not exist from a legal
perspective. There's nothing in copyright law that says once a company
has abandoned a product and hasn't sold or supported it in so many
years, it suddenly becomes okay for others to distribute it without the
permission of the copyright holder.

Also, just because some version of GPT said something, doesn't
necessarily mean it's correct. These large language models can't
actually go out on the Internet and look up things for you. I've seen
countless posts on Mastodon about ChatGPT being asked something, and
rather than giving the correct answer, it made up seemingly accurate but
entirely fictitious information, sometimes making up totally bogus
citations to support its claims.

Jayson