[DECtalk] old synthesizers and baud rate?

joshknnd1982 at gmail.com joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 19:49:47 EST 2023

Hi

You know I wonder why one or two old hardware synthesizers had such high
baud rates? The old Keynote SA I had, used baud rate 38400. All the others,
my braille 'n speak and braille lite used baud rate 9600. Such a high baud
rate of 38400 would give no advantage to screen reader or speech
synthesizer. Unless they didn't want people copying text directly to the
synthesizer through the serial port so they chose a very high baud rate? I
think even decTalk only needed 9600 baud.

Josh