[DECtalk] Berkeley's bestSpeech tts from the 1980s?

joshknnd1982 at gmail.com joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 19:25:39 EST 2023

Hi,

I know that Berkeley's BestSpeech tts technology was among the most
expensive in the mid to late 1980s. I knew it as Keynote Gold as a kid. But
it was really bestSpeech in a box that humanware named Keynote. The Franklin
Language Master used it. It was supposedly used in telephone systems.
Humanware made their own software keynote tts version out of it. I recently
found out that there was software called SoundMan wave. SoundMan wave had a
bunch of cd rom and midi music and sound wav file stuff, and it had some
kind of notepad like reader that used bestSppeech with a sound blaster card.
Does anyone on this list know of any other products that used Berkeley's
bestSpeech tts? Because bestSpeech is its propper name. I wonder if there
was any other early windows software that used bestSpeech? Software that we
may be able to get ahold of and play around with like some sort of a speak
window demo program?