[DECtalk] DECTalk licensing etc

Kyle kyle at free2.ml
Thu Feb 23 12:06:55 EST 2023

This is what I really don't like about proprietary code and companies
controlling software and firmware. The arts actually suffer from much of
this as well. You know things are pretty messed up legally when authors
themselves have no right to give away, sell, or do whatever they want
with what they wrote, and it's even worse when they don't even know who
has the right to make those types of decisions. The paperwork is
probably enough to let us walk on it all the way to Mars. This is where
I am forced to agree with Josh when he says that it's all legal horse
hockey. Well, we can band together and try to seek the power who has the
right to license the software, or we can just be happy that it's
available, build and use it, have fun with it, mirror it somewhere in
case Microsoft gets a takedown notice and does what they like to do,
take it down. Legally we can't put it in distros, make speech-dispatcher
work better with it, anything like that, but at least we can use it as
long as it isn't taken down. Actually, maybe we should hope for a
takedown notice. Although this sounds like a bad thing in general, it
would at least give those of us who want to see this code liberated a
point of contact. After negotiations, the copyright holder of course can
withdraw the takedown notice, and we could get back to enjoying DECTalk
in all its hopefully open source glory at that point. Until things
change though, I will speak no more on this licensing issue, and will
just be happy that I am able to play with it and use it, and will surely
promote the DECTalk software as an option for those who need software
speech that can work with speech-dispatcher and does not cause pain or
other issues when heard. Thanks Tom and all for making this available to
those who want and/or need it.

~Kyle