[DECtalk] Report of a successful use of dectalk with graphical Linux.

Kyle kyle at free2.ml
Wed Feb 22 13:36:03 EST 2023

joshknnd1982 at gmail.com staggered into view and mumbled:
> And don't forget about the people who made the new espeak variants like bobby and betty. You know they sound identical to decTalk voices when they read talk or say stuff. Those 70 or so year old decTalk employees will be coming out of the woodwork any day now to collect their huge sums of money. After all, how dare you make espeak variants which are copying our decTalk names and formant algorithms!! Yep, legal paranoia.

Making open source code that implements a speech synthesizer that sounds
like a DECTalk is not a legal issue. Using real DECTalk source code to
build into the DECTalk binary that runs natively is a potential issue,
as the LICENSE file indicates that if we don't have a written license
from Fonix or an authorized sublicenser, we are not allowed to use the
code. Period. This is the permission and authorization we need so that
DECTalk can be tecnically considered to be open source and we can
legally use it.

As I said, I don't personally care what the LICENSE file says. However,
I'm also not trying to include it in a software project or a
distribution, and I'm also not trying to redistribute or modify it. Most
likely, each individual is OK just building it and using it with the
generic speech-dispatcher module or for making recordings or whatever.
But there are certainly licensing issues to consider, so if the current
copyright holder wants us to be able to use it or simply doesn't care if
we do, a valid open source license must be granted to cover all the
legal bases.

~Kyle