[DECtalk] Report of a successful use of dectalk with graphical Linux.

Kyle kyle at free2.ml
Wed Feb 22 13:25:54 EST 2023

joshknnd1982 at gmail.com asked:
> Ok then why is it that when I asked Deane Blazie on  facebook about
> reverse-engineering the braille n speak software he told me he does not
> care?

This is because the hardware is abandoned. I would say that the braille
'n speak hardware and ROM can probably be classified as abandonware. In
this case, reverse engineering is most likely legal. Direct use of the
source code if available, especially if it runs natively, probably would
not be legal without a proper license statement granting permission to
possess and use the software or its source code. I'm not a lawyer by any
stretch, but this explanation would seem to make sense from my
understanding of the law.

~Kyle