[DECtalk] dial phone services using synthetic speech

Blake Roberts BEarlRoberts at aol.com
Thu Feb 2 16:52:28 EST 2023

Hi everyone,

I'm writing this on behalf of list member Snoopi. He's currently in the
hospital bored out of his mind.

Does anyone know of U.S.-based dial services where you can call to hear
information through text-to-speech? Snoopi and I already know about/use
NewsLine which uses Eloquence and NeoSpeech voices. Today I told Snoopi
about Free Weather Call which I have known about for the past decade.
The service still functions: 757-WEATHER (932-8437). Free Weather Call
uses a mixture of recorded speech and the William TTS voice developed by
Cepstral.

Does anyone know of any other touch-tone dial services which use TTS? By
touch-tone, I mean the need to press numbers to make a selection.
Speaking menu choices is not an option for Snoopi because his speech is
dificult to understand. U.S. phone numbers only please. Snoopi's exact
words to me while I was talking to him earlier this afternoon were: "I
want something to dial!"