[DECtalk] NVDA addon

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Sep 22 09:12:08 EDT 2022

Hi,

I ran into an odd problem. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I
downloaded and installed the DECtalk NVDA addon from Jake's link. It
installed fine and it works fine but I can't get it to sing. I opened a
song and read the file in Notepad. All it did is say the DECtalk
commands but no singing. What am I missing? I am sure this is something
obvious and I admit I didn't look through the tools and preferences but
it didn't jump out at me. I tried unchecking the boxes for character
processing. What am I missing?

Also, is there any chance of getting a different build with better
speech quality? I can't stand the 4.6.X voices. The UK one sounds
particularly horrible. I'm not meaning to complain as something is
better than nothing but if there is a simple way to get better speech,
that would be wonderful. What about making this work with JAWS and other
screen readers? I can't stand my current software speech and wish I
could go back. Hardware speech isn't practical but a high quality
DECtalk voice would be nice. thanks very much for making this available
regardless. I definitely appreciate it. It is still better than most
robots out there.