[DECtalk] It's time to bust some DECtalk myths

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Tue Sep 20 00:33:01 EDT 2022

Here, let me try to clarify the "confusing" example.

Assume the DECtalk reverts to Factory Fred as factory defaults
(I'm making up names so I can associate mnemonics with them).

Assume I have set the nonvolatile memory voice to NOVRAM Neil.

And, Speakup initializes to SpeakUp Sally.

But, right now, it is currently speaking in Current Charlie.

We pause the screen reader while Charlie is talking.  Then,
manually send a command to DECtalk to select Override Olive
as the current voice.  We test this by sending the text
"I Love Popeye!" directly to the DECtalk.

Now, we resume the screen reader and expect Olive will continue
to speak -- because SpeakUp doesn't know that we've manually
changed the voice IN the DECtalk.

Eventually, the "drop" happens.

If we then hear Factory Fred, we can assume the DECtalk reset
itself to factory defaults or was commanded to return to those
defaults.

If, instead, we hear NOVRAM Neil, then the NVRAM settings were
somehow restored.

If Speakup Sally greets us, then the SpeakUp initial settings
were restored.

If Wacky Wally starts talking, then we throw our arms up
and wonder what the heck is happening.

We should be able to repeat the experiment with different
voices for each of these roles and verify that the specific
ROLE is being accessed, not any particular specific voice!