[DECtalk] It's time to bust some DECtalk myths

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Mon Sep 19 12:48:16 EDT 2022

Hi,

The thing is, assuming Chime is using the Paul voice, even if Speakup
for some reason just sent [:np] that would be enough to not only select
the Paul voice again, but also reset the voice parameters to their
default, probably with the exception of rate. If everything is going
back to power-on defaults, that sounds to me like something may be going
on within the DECtalk unit itself to cause such a soft reset.

I have no idea about the DECtalk USB, but IIRC the DECtalk Express does
not have any non volatile RAM, although it does have Flash storage for
firmware upgrades.

Jayson