[DECtalk] It's time to bust some DECtalk myths

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Mon Sep 19 07:25:28 EDT 2022

Hi, I read somewhere that screen readers would send the strings of rate
and pitch to the dectalk every several lines to make sure that the
device was at the correct settings.  I was using my dectalk express with
speakup a lot and would often change the rate but when I set it the
settings never went back to what the default was when the device was
turned on.  I also would say that perhaps the dectalk is not remembering
the settings that it was first given when speakup first loads and sends
the string to the device.  I agree that the speakup developers should
have test devices as this way they can fix bugs when they find an issue
or just make sure there are no major bugs in a driver that they say to
support.  Nick Gawronski