[DECtalk] It's time to bust some DECtalk myths

Chime Hart chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sun Sep 18 16:14:12 EDT 2022

Hi Don: First, I was surprised our current discussion was going to an entire
list, but this is good as others much more experienced than myself will have
analysis. Next, yes, there is a volume wheel-and-toggle switch on the unit.
When I try your echo command, it says stty permission denuyed, even with sudo.
I would think some1 would need to analise the Speakup drivers, which if some1
wanted, I could probably send, but now Speakup is in staging in the kernel
since maybe Debian 5.0.9? There was an `anoying issue whenever there were a
hardware change, would reboot-and since flush time was set a 400MS, there would
be a 4second delay after any typing. Anyway, now it is set at 10. Really, the
nice thing back in the Vocal-Eyes days, many were useing DecTalk PC or Express,
so if there were bugs they would be noticed along the way. Not sure if there
aren't more than 5 of us on the Speakup list running any kind of DecTalk. I was
going to try-and-record an audio sample of those drops to share with the Debian
Speakup maintainer, as this unit has an ear-phone jack
Chime