[DECtalk] decTalk on IOS with TestFlite beta app?

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Tue Nov 15 21:54:25 EST 2022

On 11/15/2022 7:39 PM, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> speaking as a person who uses dectalk...several times a day, in fact every time
> she uses a computer, far be it for you to tell me something is past its prime.

You can listen to music on 8 track tapes if you so desire.  But, you'll
soon discover that getting spare parts for the player is impossible.
And, if you want to improve fidelity or recording length, too bad.

I.e., you plant your feet firmly in the past and live within the
constraints imposed at that time.  Because the world has "moved on".

> I  vote for giving individuals who incorporate speech into their lives, rather
> a few these days, choices.

And how's that working out for you?  On your phone?  In your car?
I.e., anywhere OTHER THAN tethered to your PC?

> Would rather have dectalk as a smart device than siri or what's her name from
> amazon any day.  Latter, speaking personally, sounds rather constipated.
> Has it ever occurred to you, that some folks simply are glad to get
> anything..even if it sounds dreadful to them?

Because you are spending your efforts "settling" instead of pushing
folks who are actively developing technology to address your needs.

People in wheelchairs used to "tolerate" hard curbs to access
sidewalks.  Suddenly, there are curb cuts everywhere!  Do you think
that effort was the result of general benevolence on the part of
people who DON'T need wheelchairs?

> Linux anyone?
> You keep  hyping how poor said market is..what a way to devalue another human
> just because of their eye chart  scores.

Rather than take offense at your misdirected insult (JOSH claimed blind people
were poor; I'm merely mocking his assertion), I'll just admonish you to be a
bit more careful about how you formulate/address your replies.

> some of that living on social security, have no issues buying apple products, so.
> Honestly treat the market like it has value, give them quality dectalk as a
> choice, and you might be surprised.

Great idea!  Why don't YOU track down the legal owners of the DECtalk IP
and convince them to invest in their product!  Perhaps they've been
really inept at realizing the value of that property?