[DECtalk] Question About Formant vs Natural Speech

Brandon Tyson brandongold98 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 00:55:18 EDT 2022

Hello,

Several years ago I thought I remember reading an article that talked
about comparisons between natural text-to-speech voices and formant
ones, and their advantages and disadvantages.

If I remember right, I believe it covered aspects like the ability to
understand it at high speeds and something else that I thought I read
was called listener fatigue or something similar, suggesting that some
people can have more difficulty listening to a concatenated voice for
a prolonged period of time over a computer generated voice that uses
no recordings of human speech.

I was wondering if there are any articles or pages that anyone knows
of that could point me in the right direction by chance?

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to any assistance
you are willing to provide.

Sincerely,

Brandon Tyson

--
“Be what you are. This is the first step towards becoming better than you are.”
– J. C. Hare & A. W. Hare