[DECtalk] DECTalk 4.2 Alpha (fwd)

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Tue Aug 16 18:38:09 EDT 2022

On 8/16/2022 3:23 PM, Jayson Smith wrote:
> As for emulating Votrax, I think Mame can do at least some of that. The point
> of such a thing would be to have it available in order to emulate any device
> that uses it. For example, if anyone ever made a Braille 'N Speak emulator,
> they'd need to emulate the speech.

What's the point in emulating a BnS -- except for nostalgia sake?
And, if you wanted to emulate that *functionality*, wouldn't you want
to endow it with a BETTER voice?

I have a "talking barcode reader", here.  If the market saw such a need,
it wouldn't want something big and bulky (like the unit that I have).
Nor would it want something with a shitty voice.  *Or* with the
limitations as to how many different barcode labels it could
*understand* ("This is a can of peas; this is a DVD titled 'The
Fifth Element'; this is a pair of bluejeans, size 34...")

Spending creative effort to recreate something that already EXISTED
seems silly.  Like digging a second hole to mimic one that you already
have in your yard (why not PLANT something, instead?!)