[DECtalk] an article about speech synthesis methods

Nikita nikitamailings at yandex.com
Sun Sep 12 12:33:49 EDT 2021

Hi Blake,
There are two main types of parametric speech synthesis: statistical and
neural.
RHVoice is a statistical parametric synthesizer. It is capable of running in
real time on a CPU.
Neural parametric synthesizers run on GPU and require large servers.
Thus, a statistical parametric synthesizer can run on a personal computer
and integrate with screen readers, while a neural parametric synthesizer
requires constant data transfer between a personal computer and a server,
which is not very suitable for screen readers, although theoretically it can
also be used.
For example, on Android, the synthesizer of TalkBack can work over the
Internet when switched on for the first time, if you activate a language for
which the voice package is not preinstalled.
Best regards, Nikita.