[DECtalk] the grossgang folder on google drive

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Wed Nov 10 20:54:50 EST 2021

On 11/10/2021 6:35 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
> I only took down the folder because I got an email from google saying some
> files I uploaded had viruses but it did not give me any details and it said
> if I continued to share bad files I may lose access to the service and I
> can’t lose access because my son uses it for school.

As you are dependent on google to host the service, you're obligated
to THEIR idea of what constitutes malware -- even if you "know"
otherwise.

Presumably, they have *some* skill in making that determination
as they wouldn't want to gratuitously restrict what folks PAYING
for the service could post!  (I'd trust their assessment more
than "Uncle Bob" who opts to host files on his own server)

Note that systems that use file names to differentiate between
"programs" and "other files" are particularly vulnerable.  I can
rename an infected executable as MyData.foo and evade some A V
products (who only check .exe files for payloads).

So, best to treat all files as if they can contain malware and
discipline in a more universal manner.

Which is likely what google does.