[DECtalk] decTalk 4.4 4.5 and 4.6 as sapi5?

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Fri May 28 21:08:13 EDT 2021

On 5/28/2021 5:38 PM, Mohamed Al-Hajamy wrote:
> Yeah, he may also not necessarily be inclined to let the synth go, if he's
> still making money from the Orion TI-84 Plus deal.

Regardless, it's not COSTING him anything to hold onto it.
But, once the genie is out of the bottle, there's nothing
he can do to reclaim it!

Microsoft hasn't released the source code for any of their MS-DOS
versions, any early Windows version, any Office product, etc.  Even
Internet Explorer -- now officially "discontinued" -- hasn't been
released.

The PNG image format was developed because the GIF patent holder
(Unisys) wasn't keen on allowing *their* technology to be used freely.
Despite it being an ideal format for use on the WWW, they, as
owners of that IP, just said "no".

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF>

All of these things have some value; hence the reason YOU want to see
them released.  The owner of the item can decide how much it is worth
to *him*.  There's nothing you can do to pressure him into selling
it for any lesser amount (including giving it away).

Find a way to use it clandestinely (or, under the terms of any previous
license that you have).  If that means you have to stick with older tools
that it works well with, then so be it.

A firm I worked for produced a half million dollar product.  It used
a piece of software licensed for $5,000 for *each* copy.  One day,
they decided not to sell licenses for that version of the software
any longer; "You can license our NEW version, instead!"

But, the new version would require lots of redesign on our part.
We couldn't continue to sell our existing product because it
relied on that $5,000 license -- which was not obtainable.  Sort
of like needing a part that was no longer being made.  Even though
they could "make" as many copies of the license (it's just a piece
of paper!) as they wanted -- they didn't want to make ANY!

<shrug>