[DECtalk] decTalk 4.4 4.5 and 4.6 as sapi5?

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Thu May 27 05:09:58 EDT 2021

On 5/27/2021 2:03 AM, mattias wrote:
> any source that fonix are died

Even if they have "gone out of business", their assets
don't just "vanish".

Someone likely wasn't fully paid for <whatever> at
the time they closed up shop -- e.g., a lawyer.
It's a simple matter to acquire some remaining tangible
asset as a partial compensation for what you are owed.

I have a buddy who was left with outstanding monies
due for work he had performed.  He seized a forklift truck as
partial payment.  "You want the truck back?  We'll see what
the court has to say about the monies you owe me!"

[I.e., easier to just say goodbye to the forklift and
hope it is enough to keep the guy from dragging YOU to
court!]

If the owner of that asset thinks it has value (because
he sees folks using it without his being compensated in
a license fee), then he can go after those parties (and
whomever "distributed" the "product" without his consent)
to be reimbursed for the losses (theft).

I.e., you manage to get your hands on the sources and
want to do something *personal* with it, you can fly
below the radar (keep your mouth shut and enjoy your
windfall).  Hard for someone to come after something he
doesn't KNOW about!

OTOH, if all he has to do is start searching for places
that mention his product and tap into that activity to
identify targets for litigation...