[DECtalk] a physical game powered by speech synthesis

Blake Roberts beroberts at hughes.net
Mon Mar 1 23:02:02 EST 2021

Hi,

Two years ago, I recorded myself playing a 30-year old game which relies
on speech synthesis. It's not a computer game, but instead, an actual
device. Although Passport to the World came with a game board and
pieces, the talking part is enough to play.

I don't recall sharing my recording here before.  I am doing so now. I
don't know what text-to-speech technology was used as the game voice.
However, I have always found over the decades that the voice sounds
realistic to my ears.

I received the game as a gift 30 years ago and it still talks. Passport
to the World is probably not manufactured anymore. This is because the
Passport game I have thinks the Soviet Union still exists. I was playing
tonight to ensure batteries still function. I heard a question requiring
answer to be "The Soviet Union". That notion is antiquated...

Dropbox link to my recording:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wzaj6szagk3y5g/passport%20game.mp3?dl=0