[DECtalk] ESpeak/accessibility

Blake Roberts BEarlRoberts at aol.com
Wed Jun 16 16:11:35 EDT 2021

I changed the subject when replying because the recent discussion
on-list went far beyond the thread I had started. I myself find it
beneficial to change subject line when discussions take new directions.

Don: I understand and agree with your point about needing to consider
people with a variety of disabilities when developing products,
including software. A solution for one person with a particular
disability may not be the answer for someone with a similar or different
disability. Example: text-to-speech can help blind people or someone
with dyslexia, but those two people may use it to different extents.

Regarding ESpeak: I myself choose not to use it because, as a list
member told me by phone some years ago who shall be nameless: "It sounds
like crap!" However, I recognize and respect that some people choose to
use ESpeak because the synthesizer meets their speed needs and/or they
got use to it etc.

My point: I agree with Don about importance of considering the needs of
as many people with disabilities as possible when designing something,
hardware or software.

Blake