[DECtalk] DECtalk TTS licensing

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Tue Aug 31 21:01:56 EDT 2021

On 8/31/2021 4:31 PM, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Chime,
> another example of deciding something is not possible.
> Instead  of asking NvDA a windows product based on  python to write  stuff for
> Linux, why not ask the python blindness developers group to do this?

You're assuming there is no domain-specific knowledge needed to
write a particular program.

I.e., that you could just as easily ask for them to write
a program to drive your car for you.

Or, fly a plane.

Or play a game of chess -- even if YOU are a grand master!

Knowing a programming language doesn't mean anything other than
"you CLAIM TO know that programming language".

I designed an autopilot for boats.  Do you think I just sat down
and started writing code?  Or, do you think I first tried to
understand the characteristics of boats, waterways, their
interactions, rules-of-the-road, characteristics of the
mechanism that will actually steer the vessel, etc.?

And, how do you think I convinced my employer to let me connect it
to a boat and put lives at risk -- just by SAYING it worked?

> and how do I, not using Linux at all, know about this group?
> I went hunting for it, when someone I knew wanted a teacher.  Took me less
> than  5 minutes.

Notice their individual reputations.  What track records do
they have at taking on a project and COMPLETING it?  If you
ever notice GoFundMe campaigns, one of the critical issues
is the reputation of the person making the request!  No one
wants to invest (even if it is just TIME) in someone who
isn't likely to follow through.