[DECtalk] I found some old interesting DECtalk stuff, and some questions

Tom Kopec w1pf at comcast.net
Wed Jun 26 07:24:22 EDT 2019

DECTalk-PC (both versions) were ISA bus devices. If I recall, the driver
could sprout a fake COM port for application access.

In the mid-1990s we had kicked around the idea of a PCI version of
DECTalk-PC.. but the DECTalk Express was serving the hardware market
well, and we decided to take advantage of PC performance increases and
focus on a software-only solution.

My foggy recollection is that the last version of DECTalk developed
within DEC/Compaq was 4.3 ... I left when the product line moved to
Fonix, and have had very limited contact with it since then.

...tom