[DECtalk] DECtalk IP timeline

Tom Kopec w1pf at comcast.net
Tue Jul 23 05:48:12 EDT 2019

This came up in another thread; just writing it down for posterity..

DEC became part of Compaq in 1997. At the time the DECtalk group was
under what we called "Technical OEM" (I guess it was officially the
"Embedded and Realtime Computing" group.)

The TOEM part of Compaq (including DECtalk) was sold to Smart Modular
(IIRC the Force Computer division) in early 2000-ish (announced 8/1999),
which is when I left to do other things.

At some point in 2001-ish (IIRC) Smart sold DECtalk to Fonix. My last
contact with them (and DECtalk) was in 2003, so I have no personal
knowledge of the timeline after that.

...tom