[DECtalk] Questions about old DECtalk DTC-01 and DTC-03 units

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Sat Aug 3 21:25:27 EDT 2019

Hi,

I'd like to add a few things.

First, it's true that the DTC-01 (the only one of the two I've ever
owned or used) uses serial communication. However, as far as I know, no
modern screen reader has drivers for it. However, you should still be
able to communicate with it using a serial terminal or similar.

Second, I didn't know this until recently, but the settings seem to be
stored in memory backed up by a lythium? battery. If that battery is
dead, it won't keep settings when you power it off.

Third, it has a built-in power supply. It uses what in the US would
probably be called/thought of as a standard desktop computer power cord.
At least units in the US are set up to accept 120 volts, 60 hz. I have
no idea if there are any allowances for running it on 240 volts. You
would need to know what kind of power the specific unit you're
considering buying is set up to use, and make appropriate adaptations.
It must be used on AC power, it does not have a battery, nor would a
battery have been very useful back in the day, considering the size of
the unit.

Hope this helps,

Jayson