[DECtalk] Questions about old DECtalk DTC-01 and DTC-03 units

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Sat Aug 3 18:54:11 EDT 2019

On 8/3/2019 3:08 PM, Aksel Leo Christoffersen wrote:
> 1: What do those units looks like. As I understand, they're sort of
> external, and don't need to be installed in a computer, but is it something
> like the DECtalk Express, or is it larger than that?

The DTC-01 is CONSIDERABLY larger than the Express.  About the volume of
two small laptops stacked atop each other.  And, considerably heavier
than the Express -- probably about 15 pounds.

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/DECtalk_DCT01_and_Tink.jpg>

> 2: How is it possible to use them with modern Windows systems? I use the
> DECtalk Express through serial with a serial to usb adapter, but can I do
> sorth of the same thing with those units?

The i/f to the DTC is via a serial port.  There are two DB25's on the rear
of the unit.  It can be set up in a "pass through" configuration.  Likewise,
there are two telco (RJ11) jacks on the back -- one for the PSTN and the
other for a local handset.  An internal DTMF decoder lets you write
applications -- interfacing via the serial port -- to interact with
a party on the phone.

Audio is also available through a built-in speaker as well as an
audio out jack on the rear.

> 3: I know, that DECtalk DTC-01 is using version 2.0, or in some cases 1.8,
> of DECtalk, but what version is DTC-03 using, and is it possible to hear a
> sample of it somewhere?

Youtube is your friend.