[DECtalk] Snoopi's messages

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Mon May 7 16:50:10 EDT 2018

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I'll clarify how this probably
happened, since I've seen it before on other lists, and the annoying
thing is that once it happens, the real person can't do anything to stop it.

This tends to happen with large freemail providers E.G. AOL, Gmail,
Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. What happens is that somehow, a hacker gets a
legitimate user's Email address and password for one of these services.
It could be through a phishing attack, spyware, or any number of other
exploits. No matter how they get this information, they then log into
that account and retrieve the user's address book. At that point, they
can then start sending spam which appears to come from that user, to
that user's friends, associates, mailing lists they're on, etc. Usually
the messages have no subject or a very generic subject such as "Hey
<recipient name>," and the body is usually just a link pointing to a
spam website, usually with no text describing what the link is, and if
there is any text it's usually very generic, such as, "Check this out"
or "I thought you might like this." The horrible thing is, once this has
started happening, the real, legitimate user of that account can do
absolutely nothing to stop the spam. Even canceling their account with
that provider won't help, since the spammers can still send Email which
appears to come from that address even though it's no longer valid. As I
found out a few years ago, even dying doesn't stop the spam, as I know a
friend who kept receiving some spam from a friend who had died, and so
there was no chance of anyone receiving any legitimate mail from that
person ever again.

Jayson