[DECtalk] voice creation

Alex H. linuxx64.bashsh at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 14:17:41 EDT 2017

Hi

I'm assuming Innoetix won't be able to help create your voice. That's
unfortunate, but wouldn't be the first time a company has promised or
hinted at something and dropped the ball later. I take things like
that with a very, very tiny grain of salt these days.

As for Lyrebird, I've created a basic voice using about 60 sentences
of text. I used Google Chrome on my Mac and a simple Samson C01U
microphone. The process was pretty easy and simple, definitely
accessible.

Here's a quick audio demo. It should work in all major browsers.
https://lyrebird.ai/g/mpkwGjzR

That clip took a few seconds to generate when I first sent it to the
server to be converted to text. That said, there's some turn-around
because it is a website and so on, but what I'm saying is right now,
the technology is too slow and CPU-hungry to be used as a screen
reader voice. Or at least, that's what I'm gathering. Hopefully one
day, they can simplify that algorithm to be used on traditional
computers. It may not haveThe complete articulation and naturalness,
but at least it would be something different for us to use.  Not to
mention, a ton of variety of new voices.

Cheers,
Alex