[DECtalk] an ftp sight of the old dectalk archive

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Apr 13 05:56:42 EDT 2016

Hi,

Hmm, interesting. I don't know how old or current the archive is that you
found, but when I briefly maintained it, I didn't remove those files. I
don't know why they wouldn't be in whatever passes for the current archive
nowadays. I did move files around and I removed some for legal reasons, but
not those. I have a copy, but I don't know how current it is. I lost my
original in a drive crash. Since there isn't much activity nowadays, I
didn't see much point in reviving it. Others have done a much better job
anyway. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing it back, but I don't see too much
interest except as a museum. I wonder who actually captured the ftp copy you
found. Even if there is sufficient interest, I don't have time to maintain
it, but I could host it if someone wants to manage it. I remember someone
did ask me if they could mirror it, so maybe that's what you found. Someone
else mirrored it without permission and caused bandwidth issues which is one
reason why I stopped hosting it.