[DECtalk] New synthesizer Gnuspeech

Alex H. linuxx64.bashsh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 16:40:29 EDT 2015

Not missing the point mate, but such things are usually beat to death
on this list so figured I'd chime in with my usual negativity. LOL :)

As for the pronunciation itself, it's spot on. I get excited for
people to have more royalty-free speech so I get crabby when nobody
does anything on the project or the quality is too poor to warrant
reviving it. This by all accounts could end up being really solid and
more pleasant than espeak and have a wider variety of applications
like the medical and audiobook fields if it can keep up that rep of
pronouncing things properly.

Changing timbres and the like shouldn't be too hard, as ideally one
only need be able to grasp the rules and syntax, then tweak various
stresses and so on to get it even better. Granted, what I prefer and
what the guy across the street thinks is perfect spoken word timbre
probably isn't going to be the same thing. Someone smarter than I
would know about changing the actual frications of letters and
clearing the beard from that guy's mouth hahaha.

Adding additional languages will be harder.

Piotir, does throat temperature do anything noticeable to the voice
quality? That's an odd parameter. It makes me really think they've
gotten the modeling philosophy down and don't mind throwing the curve
ball in once in a while.

But yes for early days, I can say this already beats NVSpeechPlayer.
It's impressive. That footprint is tiny too. 2 megs is nothing.

Alex