[DECtalk] New synthesizer Gnuspeech

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Oct 22 08:36:44 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I thought people here might be interested in reading about this synthesizer:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuspeech/

It's still very much in early development, but looks potentially
interesting.  There are currently two versions, one for the Mac and one for
Linux and Unixlike operating systems.  I don't have a Mac and I can't
comment on Mac accessibility.  The Mac version comes with a graphical
application which lets you change speech parameters.  I compiled the source
on 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04.3 Linux if anyone wants the binaries and libraries.
If you do, please write off list to the address in my signature.

If you're on Windows or don't want to compile from source, you're not left
out.  I'll shortly be uploading a demo in mp3 so you can hear it actually
reading a large amount of text.  Yes, it should be able to sing from what
I've gathered from the above site.  Here is the mp3 demo:

http://classicradio.us/iso/gnuspeech_gpl.mp3

Share and distribute the above demo as much as you want, but attribution
would be appreciated.  It's written in C and the dictionaries are in plain
text, so they should be modifyable without the graphical application.  I
would be interested in people's opinions on this.

--
Tony Baechler, founder, Baechler Access Technology Services
mailto:bats at batsupport.com
Phone: 1-619-746-8310   Fax: 1-619-449-9898