[DECtalk] mbrola voices for nvda

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Jun 30 05:21:05 EDT 2015

Part of the problem is with ESpeak doing the phoneme translation.  If you
try the Mbrola demos, the voices sound much nicer, at least to my ears.
When I use ESpeak to convert text into phonemes which it passes to Mbrola, I
didn't like the voice quality either.  I never owned an Audapter, but the
demos reminded me of it.  I would like to get an Audapter if anyone has one
they don't want.  Ideally, what should happen is a different phoneme
processor should be used, but that would require someone writing one.
Mbrola actually has a lot of flexibility and isn't much different from
DECtalk in some regards if you don't mind doing your own phoneme translation.