[DECtalk] converting note durations to milliseconds?

Alex H. linuxx64.bashsh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 21:45:30 EDT 2015

Hi Mohamed,

I hope this will help a bit.
Let's take a C and make it say "ah", for half a second.
[aa<500,13>]
That will work. A lot of it is timing and trial and error. If you want
to do it the math way, you could divide that in half to get 250
milliseconds for instance to get two syllables in 500ms, or to lower a
note for a scale or whatever.

What I do is try to get the base or original track perfect, making
sure there's no strange gaps or words that mess up the tempo of the
song. It's going to take a very, very long time to get it right that
first few times, but it gets easier as you go along. I'll actually
post a quick one-liner to give you some more simple stuff to mess with
timings.

After you get the first track done, you can export as wav, then start
harmonies or background parts. For harmonies, it's easy because you
just need to change the notes and tweak it until it sounds right.

For longer songs, I sometimes will take multiple wavs and string them
together in the right places so I don't have to write the whole thing
at once. Not to mention, it gets annoying having to play the entire
textfile just to hear the end and then change stuff if you messed up a
phoneme or timing etc.

Below is the example. Dec 4.3 demo, so it should work fine.
-----
[:phone on]
[hx<70,20>iy<200>rz ae<90,15>n<50>
ih<80>g<50>z<50,17>ae<190>m<50>p<80,15>el ,<400>
b<50,19>iy<180>p<80>b<50,20>iy<240>p<90>]