[DECtalk] history of the DECtalk archive?

Blake Roberts beroberts at hughes.net
Sun Aug 16 10:20:17 EDT 2015

I have some things to add to Jayson's history lesson. He stopped hosting the
archive after a number of years due to excessive bandwidth usage if I
remember correctly. At some point before that happened the archive had been
downloaded and eventually hosted on the now dead
www.dectalk.com

That person was never on this list and I've always been puzzled why someone
not interested in Dectalk hosted the archive for a while. It's a mystery for
which there will probably never be a solution. Anyway, the plug was pulled
on dectalk.com after several years, meaning it ceased to exist. List member

Carlos Fernandez now has the archive available via BT Sync. It's possible in
the future that a modified version of the archive might also be hosted on
the web site of former list member Snoopi Botten, The Flame Of Hope. Carlos
very kindly helped with that. By modified I mean that files with obvious bad
language and adult content were removed because Snoopi wants his copy to be
family-friendly. Thank you Carlos for helping with that. Snoopi was sent a
link to download the modified archive. I'm not sure at the moment what
progress Snoopi has made in downloading it or uploading to his site. He's
been very busy with other projects in the past several weeks, such as
working on an interview about Dectalk and his web site. I think it would be
great if Snoopi's desire to host the archive on his site does eventually
come to fruition.

Blake