[DECtalk] Dectalk 4.6.1 SAPI from Enable Rehab

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Jul 14 03:03:21 EDT 2014

Unfortunately, it really doesn't matter what you or I think.  The law is the
law.  Just because it's abandonware and/or a company no longer exists
doesn't make it legal to use.  People who choose to use this particular SAPI
version could be sued if the rights holders want to make an issue of it, so
I wouldn't advertise using it on a public mailing list.  If we're talking
about a hardware platform which no longer exists like the Apple II, you
might have a point as obviously old Apple software isn't going to be for
sale again any time soon.  However, since the company who owns the rights to
DECtalk still exists, Enable Rehab is gone and the license is
non-transferrable, it's illegal for people to use it unless they either get
their own license or negotiate with the company holding the rights.

With that said, it would be great if they would either sell the rights to
someone else who can make better use of the DECtalk technology or at least
make a statement that the blind can use it without a license, but neither is
likely to happen.  The only way that might happen is if a group of people
pooled their money and outright bought the rights.  I would be willing to
donate to such a cause, but I wouldn't want it to go the way of Enable
Rehab.  It would be nice if one of the screen reader manufacturers would buy
the rights, but that's assuming that they would sell which they probably
wouldn't.  A single individual contacting them probably wouldn't do much
good since they don't have the money to spend and they don't have a company
behind them.  Maybe a Kickstarter project is the answer which would
additionally allow outside donations, again assuming they would sell the
rights in the first place.  If enough people contacted them, maybe it would
do some good.