[DECtalk] History of the DECtalk Archive

Dectalk at aol.com Dectalk at aol.com
Fri Jul 13 04:29:38 EDT 2012

_http://theflameofhope.co/DECTALK%20READER%201.html_
(http://theflameofhope.co/DECTALK%20READER%201.html)

Before Blake Roberts and I left Enable Rehab, we got a beta SAPI Dectalk
that sings.  Being we were shocked to learn that the files you get from
Enable Rehab come with no instructions, we got creative.  We took the new  Speak
Window from Enable Rehab, added in the Dectalk SAPI that somewhat sings,
AND, included instructions for both installing and running the software.   We
are not charging for the SAPI because all we care about is honoring the
work  and memory of Dennis Klatt.

Feel free to add the zip file to the Dectalk archive.

SNOOPI BOTTEN

In a message dated 7/12/2012 11:18:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
linuxx64.bashsh at gmail.com writes:

No...4.61....

On 7/12/12, Tyler  <programmer651 at comcast.net> wrote:
> The website dectalk.com has  5.0. When you click "check out the Archive,"
one
> of your
>  options will be "Dectalk Software and Manuals." I believe 5.0 is the
only
> version left there.
> It's a Gwmicro thing, so you'll get  that option once you click "Dectalk
> Software and
>  Manuals."
> Tyler Z
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:11:58 -0400, Alex H.  wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Awesome little  lesson there. I was a latecomer to this list, first
>>stumbling upon  DECtalk in 2006, but all I could find was the terrible
>>4.61 version  that everyone seemed to dislike, and didn't sound like
>>any of the  demos I found online made by Patrick and others. Sad  times.
>>
>>Two years later, I was running across old list  results in Google, and
>>I found someone mention speak43. I knew that  was what I was going for,
>>DECtalk 4.3. I did some digging, and  eventually found the Speak43 and
>>its associated data. I then  seriously began learning DECtalk phonemes
>>in late 2008 with the aid  of some demos and text files, and plenty of
>>soft drinks.  :)
>>
>>I pulled down a copy of the Archive in 2010 for my  own local use so as
>>not to suck up any more bandwidth and have most  of the DECtalk
>>versions. I'm only missing the 5.0 speak window. If  anyone's got it, I
>>want it. Badly. It'll round out my collection  nicely.
>>
>>Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, Jayson.  That was awesome.
>>Alex
>>
>>On 7/11/12, Blake  Roberts <beroberts at hughes.net> wrote:
>>>That was a very  interesting lesson. Although I first joined this list in
>>>late  2004 or early 2005, I had forgotten some of the history due to  the
>>>passage of time. Jayson, it has been my experience during  the past 7
>>> years
>>>that you are an excellent list  moderator. You are both helpful and fair,
>>>which are both great  leadership qualities. It is my hope that you will
>>>continue  hosting this listserv on BlueGrassPals for a long time yet.  I
>>>consider this Dectalk listserv to be an invaluable  resource.
>>>Blake

As
>>>such, here are a few things I want  everybody to know.
>>>1.  The Red Dwarf files are  staying.  I know this is a bit risky given
US
> [...]
becoming
>>>huge bandwidth concern. Finally,  on March 15, 2009, I decided to pull
the
>>>plug, with this  message:
>>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I'm  sorry it has come to this... As some of you know, I was forced  to
>>>switch from running my own server to using a hosting  provider. This
>>>provider, openhosting.com, meters bandwidth. So  far this month, I have
>>> had
>>>unusually high  bandwidth utilization, and estimates are that my  charges
>>>will
>>>exceed my commit rate by at least a  few dollars. Looking at website
>>>statistics, it's clear to see  that the DECtalk archive is accounting for
>>>  an
>>>extremely high percentage of web traffic and/or bandwidth  utilization. I
>>>always had my mind made up that I would host the  DECtalk archive as long
>>> as
>>>it didn't actually  cost anything. Now however, it might actually cost
>>>  extra
>>>money to run the archive. For this reason, and in an  attempt to keep the
>>>charges from going over my monthly commit  rate, I have moved the archive
>>>an area of my  server inaccessible to the public either via FTP or  HTTP,
>>>effective immediately. Please note, though, that nothing  has been
deleted
>>>from my server, only moved out of public  access areas.
>>>I have a feeling that some person or persons,  probably outside this
>>>list, are running poorly written or  misconfigured mirroring programs.
>>> They
>>>seem to  be downloading the same files over and over and over again. I
am
>>>willing to work with anybody who wishes to host the archive,  and at this
>>>point, I would be willing to turn it over to  somebody else full-time. If
>>>anybody is interested, please step  forward and we'll work something out.
>>>It's been a great run,  since I more or less took the archive over  by
>>>default
>>>in August of 2005. However, I am no  longer willing to support the
>>>  humongous
>>>bandwidth hog the archive has become. Note however,  that I will continue
>>>run this mailing list  for as long as anybody wants. This list is a very
>>>low-bandwidth  affair as compared to the archive.
>>>If anyone has any thoughts,  please share them. I will not delete my
>>>copy of the archive,  and will cooperate fully in making it available to
>>>anyone who  wishes to take it over.
>>>Thanks for your  understanding.
>>>Jayson
>>>
>>>That was  pretty much the end of my involvement with the DECtalk
archive.
>>>I'm
>>>pretty sure Tony Baechler hosted it  for a while. Now Christopher Toth is
>>>hosting it I  believe.
>>>Hope you enjoyed this little trip down memory  lane!

DECtalk  mailing  list
DECtalk at bluegrasspals.com