[DECtalk] The deception continues

Raymond Grote musicalman1 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 5 16:29:22 EDT 2011

Gosh, that's harsh. I've sort of lost interest in the project. I'll try anything that comes out since Dectalk is one of the synths on the side for me. Whether it's good or bad really won't kill me, but Dectalk is still a nice synth and a Sapi reincarnation of it is very exciting, and I can certainly see how we can be so disappointed by the results so far. I know it's complicated though, given the lack of sourcecode and knowledge, which is why I'm still at least ready to hear about other things that are going on.
Personally I think they should've gotten at least a little more educated with versions and such before they started making these promises left and right. I don't really see the complexity as an excuse to release something in three months that barely works well enough to meet the very basic needs of the average user, and not those who have grown used to it over the past twenty to thirty years. If it had been an alpha release, I'd have a better attitude. But since then, we've gotten little to no feedback from them except the firing of probably one of the most knowledgeable Dectalkists they could've had. I don't really think that's going to raise the reputation of the company.
I know how eager they probably were to get it out, I would be too. But I'd still be a little nicer than firing someone without saying, or giving a legitimate reason.
I'm just trying to criticize here. I have nothing against Enable's work ethic, although I'm probably not planning on contributing to it if that's how I'm going to be addressed. Now if there was a reason for it, that's a different story. But I can't imagine what snoopy would've done that he didn't feel was helping the project. Given how he was treated, I would've just left awhile ago, but when things settled down it did look promising. Just my two cents on the attitude of this thing. I'm still looking forward to a more positive outlook...