[DECtalk] OT: Another Singing Synth!

Raymond Grote musicalman1 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 22 02:14:00 EST 2011

Hi,
Just thought I'd inform you guys about a singing synthesizer This isn't the best list to put it on since it doesn't have much to do with Dectalk, but it has to do with singing synths. If you're a musician and are on any midi and audio mailing lists or forums, you might want to post it there because it might gain interest. Maybe some already use it.
So, what is it? It's called Syng, and it is a vst plugin.
Here's a little bit about it. You control it with midi, so if you're not well rehearsed with that, I would recommend getting somewhat familiar on that if you want to go through the trouble. On channel 1 you put the notes you want to sing, easy enough. The vocal range is very wide, in fact i don't see a limit yet, but I'd obviously stick to the middle, it sounds much better there. On channel 2 you put the phonemes. It's sort of like playing a drum set, where every note is a different drum sound, in syng there are forty-nine notes given to the forty-nine phonemes.
For anyone who doesn't understand any of that, please do not torture yourself trying this. I don't want to be held responsible for your frustration.
To keep from boring casual listers, I'll keep the rest of this brief. It's a freeby, which means you have to pay for it. Zero buks, in fact. Pretty cheep, eh?
The manual, which is in pdf format, is readable, but there are a few tables, like those that describe the midi stuff, which are pretty confusing. Not only because the content is confusing but because of the layout. If it gains enough interest I'll consider converting it to text and making it easer to read, and maybe i'll write some stuff in myself if i'm brave enough.
As for how it sounds? The phonemes are in UK English, according to the manual, so it will probably sound British, but to me it sounds australian, with the little i've played with it. I haven't ventured to look for demos of it yet since I'm still learning it, and I don't want to get disappointed with how bad it really is, or here how bad I am. I'm working on some productions of my own, and if it's half decent, I'll make some demos of my own and give links to other demos if I find any. So with that said, the link to download it is:
http://www.xoxos.net/vst/vst.html
Click on the link that says "Download Syng2"
If you have any specific questions about how to do something, or what something technical means, I'd recommend asking off list, although it really doesn't matter to me. It's more for the mods, owners, and other listers who aren't interested.
Enjoy!