[DECtalk] Interesting message about version of DECtalk used in USB

Jayson Smith ratguy at insightbb.com
Sat May 21 18:45:58 EDT 2011

Hi,

While going through old sent mail last night, I found a forward about the at
the time brand new DECtalk USB. This message is from March or April of 2004.
I've excerpted a bit of it I thought might be interesting.

    Naturally, I was curious, and called Access solutions themselves to ask
about this thing.  I had a lengthy conversation with Mike and talked about
dectalks, doubletalks, and Trippletalks.  Yes, the Death of the dectalk was
sent out a year ago last October.  Dectalk Express, and PC2, despite what
fonix says, are all dead.  Naturally the Dectalk USB, as it will be called,
waa made.  The first thing I asked was about compatibility with the old
Dectalks.  He said that was esential to this prodects sails.  All oDectalk
USB's can run as expresses using the serial moad.  The next thing I asked
was about sound quality, and he told me that Dectalk 5.0 was originally to
be used, but he raised a hole bunch of hell reguarding that.  They switched
him over to dectalk 4.62's sound quality, and Still hell was raised.  He
wants this to sound as otrue to the Dectalk 4.1and 4.2CD Versions, the
Dextalk expresses we all know.  A few bugs were found in the coad, so this
will be a dectalk 5.0, but with Dectalk 4.2CD sound.  This wouldn't have
gone forword without that.  I also asked about responsiveness.  He said that
this has 7-times more processign power, which means that it is more
responsive than Dectalk ever was, and of corse, at less of a price.  The
name of the PCI version is still up in the air, but I suggested Dectalk PC3.
A PCI version will happen very soon.  Keep checking thw access solutions web
sight at www.axsol.com for more details, and he assured me that demos of
this speach system will be coming along.