[DECtalk] DECtalk Found a workaround for getting DECTalk Access32 working w/ JFW

Alex H. linuxx64.bashsh at gmail.com
Fri May 20 16:52:27 EDT 2011

I've found a workaround to get DECTalk Access32 working with JFW.

WARNING WARNING WARNING: This isn't complicated, but it could leave
you with no speech if you're not careful and set up another voice
profile or don't have NVDA to fall back on.

1. You should really do this with an older version of JAWS if you have
any installed, or use NVDA or System Access, or even narrator to do
these steps to avoid conflicts.

2. Assuming you've already tried to have Access32 set up as a voice
profile, just select that using insert-ctrl-s, and then the profile
name for DECTalk access32.

3. Open the start menu, Programs or All programs, Jaws 10/11/12,
Explore Program Files.

4. Navigate to the Drivers\speech\eloq subdirectory.

5. Rename eloq.jls to something else like "evil_eloq.jls"
Alternatively, you can simply move the file to another location.

6. Reboot JAWS. You should now have DT access32 speech! Worked for me.

Note: I am not responsible for any outcome of this, use at your own
risk. However, if something doesn't work you can always just rename
the file back to eloq.jls and things are good again.

I haven't tested to see if the Eloquence voice profile is saved if you
rename it back, but I don't use eloquence anyway, so...

Enjoy and good luck!

Alex