[DECtalk] DECtalk for Linux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Mar 25 09:19:33 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm deleting a lot of overquoting and various replies.  A mention was
made that there are hardware issues with the Express and Linux.  What
are they?  I use it frequently in Linux and haven't had any major
issues.  There is an issue with HAL probing serial ports, but in most
cases, it isn't needed and you can disable hald from starting.  I can
post a workaround if you need HAL for your hardware.  There were also
various bugs and inconveniences with Speakup, but I personally did some
work to get them fixed and there should be no problem now.  If you're
still experiencing hardware issues and have upgraded to the latest
Speakup, please let me know, either here, on the Speakup list or
privately.  You'll probably also need to upgrade your kernel as it won't
work on anything less than 2.6.26.  The Speakup drivers are in staging
as of 2.6.37.  I think the latest version of Speakup is 3.1.6, but I
know the fixes are in 3.1.5 and probably 3.1.4.  I'm running 3.1.5 here
as that's what ships with Debian Squeeze in the 2.6.32 kernel.