[DECtalk] QUESTION ON SINGING INSTRUCTIONS

Dectalk at aol.com Dectalk at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 07:16:56 EST 2011

Guys, help me decide something.  And this won't totally be up to me,
Corine will need to decide if she wants to include this.

I put together 10/12 lessons on how to program Dectalk  to sing.  It's
actually 10 lessons and 2 sample songs, but it looks like 12  lessons so that
after the 10th lesson you can celebrate because you can then  program any song
you want.  I teach how to program songs, as well as how to  read music.
Each lesson in no more than 10 minutes long and you can go at  your own pace.
The only thing I don't cover is triple notes, but I could  add that in.

I'm thinking about offering to make this part of the  Dectalk SAPI 5, so
anyone that buys it can learn how to program songs.  I  never wanted to be the
only person that programs songs, which of course I'm  not.

My dilemma is, I have a CD called Dectalk 101 which  never sells because I
never promote it.  So the release of Dectalk SAPI 5  will give me a reason
to promote it, but I hate that thought for 2  reasons.  1. People are going
to buy Dectalk which can sing, yet need  to also buy an instructional CD?
(Yuck)  And 2. I really don't want  to handle that many orders.  So I'm kind
of hoping I can get my 12 steps on  programming songs included in this
software.

I want to know if you guys think this would be a good  idea?  I covered
EVERYTHING, and I really make it simple to  understand.  Plus I have people
actually do stuff along with it so people  totally get how to program songs.  I
can guarantee that after someone  completes my 12 steps of programming,
they can program any song in any  language.  All language is, is phonetic
sounds arranged in a different  order to create a desired language.  I used the
English Dectalk and  programmed it to do Spanish, French, German, and Latin.
And I know I could  make it do any language under the sun.

The only other thing I didn't fully cover is the  parameters for creating
voices.  I covered the ones that work with 4.40  that I knew about.  BUT,
every Dectalk manual has a different set of  parameters, but not all of them
actually work.  Like sx0 and sx1 will  change the sex of any voice.  I think
sx0 is male and sx1 is female, if  not, reverse it because I forget which is
which.  But the point being, not  all versions of Dectalk will do these
parameters.

So, if I had a full list of parameters that work, I  would add them to my
lesson.

Anyway, what do you guys think, should my lessons be  included in the SAPI
5 software?

SNOOPI BOTTEN