[DECtalk] Adding words to Dectalk dictionary

Raymond Grote musicalman1 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 24 21:37:21 EST 2011

Well, I am not familiar with the Dectalk dictionary in any way, but those
kinds of rules would not be easy to implement even if such a dictionary
existed. I believe most synths that can pronounce words two different ways
use context clues to figure out which pronunciation to use. For instance,
read has two pronunciations, as you know. For example:
you should read the book by Thursday.
or
The book should be read by Thursday.
You could probably just put phrases in the dictionary, and changing their
pronunciations accordingly. That is, if the Dectalk dictionary supports
phrases, which it should although i'm just guessing here. This might work in
the example you mentioned, as putting words in front of record would
determine how it is pronounced. For example, you would never say, the
re-cord. So it is safe to change this in the dictionary. you could probably
do that for a lot of different word combinations and it would be pretty
accurate. Adding all these rules would take a lot of time, and you would
have to be careful with it. If the Dectalk dictionary supports context clues
though, I wouldn't know how you would help it determine which pronunciation
is correct.
These are just my thoughts. I don't know how accurate this is, but I am
pretty sure it is a good work-around if no other can be found.